Today, I ventured out to the most frequented store by us while we were ‘living it up’ here in the States: Costco (more about this trip in another post). One of the items we always bought on our trips to Costco was cherry tomatoes. M loves them – she eats them like fruits.
According to the label, they are pesticides free and product of Mexico. For a 2 lb , 32 oz (almost a Kilo) costs about $5.99 per box. As usual I used almost a pound of them to make the salad. It’s the simplest thing to do.
Just a reminder I don’t use specific measurements when I create dishes or cook. Seriously I don’t! Sorry! I do my best to give you estimated measurements here.
Here’s how you make it:
- cut the tomatoes into halves
- dice garlic into tiny pieces (how many – it’s up to you!)
- ~2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- ~3 tablespoon of olive oil
- dash of salt
- dash of oregano
- sprinkles of fresh rosemary (if not, dried flakes will do). I used fresh and organic because we have it the garden here in Texas. Lucky me!
- chili pepper flakes if you want to add some kick to this
My opinion? Kick it! Add the chili pepper flakes! I didn’t add it here so M could eat it. And there you have it. You can use the sauce in the salad as a dip with your bread. Great way to start a meal, eh?
Enjoy my dish # 2 in Texas, status-post Chiang Mai, Thailand! It’s really like dish #4 or #5, but I’m not counting fried rice!
As you may know, after 9 months of being in Chiang Mai, Thailand, we returned to the US. Yesterday, I wrote about my initial sticker shock story in an Asian market here in Arlington, Texas. It’s reality. I knew it would happen and to be absolutely honest, I’m not complaining. My life is still great despite my enduring the great leap of produce prices in Texas.
I promised yesterday that I’ll share what I made as my first dish after returning to the US. Truth is I love salads. And naturally, after we found 4 egg rolls for a dollar with the left over rotisserie chicken, I made SALAD!
I once said to a friend, you can make salads with just about anything- just make sure you have basic ingredients in your fridge at all times! I suppose my Mother taught me well in the kitchen.
So here’s a quick and simple recipe:
- Cut the egg rolls in to small pieces
- Cut the chicken into small pieces
- Slice onions, Chinese celery, tomatoes, and garlic (thin/small)
- In a small bowl add squeezed lime juice, fish sauce, water and dashes of sugar (make this sauce/dressing according to your taste. I usually like it with more lime for that tangy, limey, refreshing taste in my salads!)
- Now, mix everything in a large bowl
- Add whatever you need to make the salad taste to your liking.. you may need to do that even after you added the sauce or dressing
BTW: You can add either crushed chili peppers or fresh chili peppers to liven-up the taste. I didn’t because I wanted my family to be able to eat it too~! Training little MGotPassport to be a chili pepper liker~~
Burmese salads are my favorite; well salads in general, actually. I must have a salad in just about every meal– probably because I grew up eating it with just about every meal!